Electrical Technology Assignments
Email Instructor: Mr. Claycomb
Email Learning Support: Mr. Harr
Email Learning Support: Ms. Hudak
Guidance Support: Mrs. Wurm
Learning Support Assistance
Career Foundation Scholarship Opportunity
Assignments will be posted on Mondays by noon for the week. All Assignments are due before Fridays at noon. Please email your instructor with the link above to turn in weekly assignment. If you have questions or problems with the work please email the instructor or the learning support personnel that would normally assist you with your work with the links above.
Job opportunity available - A local electrical company contacted Mr. Claycomb and want to know if any seniors are interested in employment. They will do a phone interview. Looking to hire when this is all over. Any senior interested please email Mr. Claycomb about it.
PLEASE REVIEW THIS END OF YEAR INFORMATION including schedule on when you can pick up your things from your locker and last day of school: http://www.ap.tec.pa.us/News/eoyinfo
Week of May 25th Assignments
Please complete all previous assignments and return to me with your name and the assignment # so you can get credit for them. Thank You!
Week of May 18th Assignments
Electrical assignment for Motors week 8.
- Hello students we are going to cover information about electrical motors.
- The following assignments will cover tasks: 2030.10,20,30,40,50.
- Answer the following with no errors.
- To find the information you will have to do a little Google searching. [ I Googled each item and each topic is covered].
- What are the three basic types of DC motors?
- There are four basic parts of a DC motor, what are they [ their construction]?
- Of the three types which type is clammed to be the most powerful?
- This type of DC motor is used where constant or adjustable speed is required.
- What are the two common types of field windings?
- Explain how a DC generator works. [Think wind turbines]
- Name at least two advantages AC motors has over DC motors.
- Define the following AC motors:
- Shaded pole
- Split Phase
- Capacitor motor
- In certain AC motors there is a device that will disconnect the start winding or capacitor. What is it?
- This type of motor is the most commonly used in Industries.
- What are the two configurations that you can connect 3 phase motors?
Week of May 11th Assignments
Hello: we are going to start week 7 work.
- This week we are going to evaluate your knowledge of the work we have been doing the last 8 weeks.
- The information will be concerning unit 5.
- Please write your correct response for each question and submit. For the multiple-choice please wright the letter of your chosen answer.
- This will be entered as your Knowledge grade.
- Click here to view Unit 5 Evaluation
- On another note if you are interested in applying for a scholarship. Check out the Admiral Peary website for details.
Week of May 4th Assignments
Week 6-unit 5 assignment.
- This week’s assignment is a small review for you to do to help with next week’s UNIT 5 test.
- Answer the following question with no errors according to the Unit 5 packet.
- Use the unit 5 packet, either the one you were told to take home or the one that is downloaded on week 1 assignments.
Click here to view Unit 5 Packet
Week of April 27th Assignments
Hello Students, we are going to start assignment number 5.
Unit 5 Electrical Motor controls Assignment 5 due May 1
- With the use of your packet, Answer the following items with no errors.
- Click on the PDF file and complete the logic functions and diagram.
- We are doing this because from the diagrams that I received, these are the areas we are have difficulty with.
- The Diagram you will have to take a picture again and send it in.
- Remember that the work we are doing will cover tasks-2040.10/2040.30 and 2050.50.
- Thanks, and be safe.
Electrical Motor controls diagram
Week of April 20th Assignments
Hello Students, we are going to start assignment number 4.
Unit 5 Electrical Motor controls Assignment 4 due April 24
· With the use of your packet, Answer the following items with no errors.
· We will be practicing how to construct a line diagram from given criteria. Make sure if you do not understand how to construct a line diagram, please send me your questions. A later assignment will require you to make a line diagram from the criteria and it will go in as a Skill grade for you.
· The Line diagrams must be neat so I can interpret them. When done, take a picture and forward them by e-mail as done in previous assignments.
· Criteria: MUST BE DRAWN NEATLY!!/ label components/must have line reference numbers/cross reference numbers and wire reference numbers.
1. First look at the diagrams in your packets. Pages 100-103.
2. Draw a line diagram of three motor starters controlled by three separate stop/start controls stations. Include a Master stop that when pressed will shut down the whole circuit [hint---this will be the first component]. Each starter will be controlled by its own individual stop/start. The overloads will be designed that if activated will only shut down that starter [ there will be three separate overloads]. Remember, each circuit needs memory. Include start lights for running condition of each starter [there will be three lights].
Week of April 13th Assignments
Everyone is doing an excellent job with their work and getting it in on time. Make sure that you are following directions. On assignment #2, the logic functions you were to give me an example of their use. Most did give me a response while some did not. If you want to receive full credit, those who did not, please send your responses to me ASAP.
Hello Students, we are going to start assignment number 3.
Unit 5 Electrical Motor controls Assignment 3 due April 17
· With the use of your packet, or you can also google these topics. Answer the following items with no errors.
· The last question, you will need to take a picture of the constructed line diagram and send it along with your completed questions. Make sure if you do not understand on how to construct a line diagram. Please send me your questions. A later assignment will require you to make a line diagram from the criteria and it will go in as a Skill grade for you.
1. Explain what the difference is between a motor starter and a contactor.
2. What is the type of diagram used in motor control?
3. Manufacturers will identify certain terminals on equipment with letters or numbers. Explain what the following represent:
4. Name three parts of a line diagram.
5. How is a line diagram read and wired?
6. When looking at a diagram, explain what the dark heavy lines are for and what the thin black [or Red] lines are for.
7. A motor starter when activated will control what two circuits?
8. If a second load must be added in a line diagram. Explain how it will be added[wired] and why?
9. Explain how control devices can be wired in motor control.
10. Draw a basic stop / start with memory line diagram. Add running lights for stop and start condition. Identify all components, wire reference numbers, cross reference numbers and line number reference system. BE NEAT!!
Week of April 6 Assignments
Hello Students, we are going to start assignment number 2.
Unit 5 Electrical Motor controls Assignment 2
- With the use of your packet, or you can also google these topics. Answer the following items with no errors.
- Look up each topic and give a short response.
Each answer will be a minimum of 30 words. [I am looking for a full response just not one- or two-word answer].
- Type your response in a word document and e-mail back as done in the assignment 1.
- This is what I’m looking for: -- full and correct response, following criteria and punctuation.
- Due date April 7,2020 by 11:59 PM
Numerical cross reference systems.
Wire reference numbers.
line number reference system.
- Describe the following logic Functions and give me an example where they would be used.
Remember this will help keep us on track when we return!
Thanks Mr. Claycomb
Week of March 30 Assignments
Hello Students, as I said before we left on Friday. Take home the packet that I copied for you on unit 5 Motor control wiring.
- First-- look over the chapter 5 packet.
- Second--locate the review questions. It is the last page attached to the packet.
- Third--complete the questions with no errors.
- Fourth--type your answers onto a word document or into your email message and email me back the attachment. The e-mail is provided at the top of this page.
- Due Friday April 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM.
This will help us keep on-track for when we return to school.
If you forgot to take your Chapter 5 packet home please click here to view it and then click here to answer the questions and send back to me in an email
Thanks Mr. Claycomb