Email Instructor: Mr. Diantoniis
Email Learning Support: Mr. Harr
Email Learning Support: Ms. Hudak
Guidance Support: Mrs. Wurm
Learning Support Assistance
Career Foundation Scholarship Opportunity
Assignments will be posted on Mondays by noon for the week. All Assignments are due before Fridays at noon. Please email your instructor with the link above to turn in weekly assignment. If you have questions or problems with the work please email the instructor or the learning support personnel that would normally assist you with your work with the links above.
PLEASE REVIEW THIS END OF YEAR INFORMATION including schedule on when you can pick up your things from your locker and last day of school: http://www.ap.tec.pa.us/News/eoyinfo
Thank you to all who posted their assignments in a timely manner. The marking period has ended and of course the school year. I want to wish all graduating seniors a bright future even with all the ups and downs that we absorbed this year. It will get better for all! As for the rest of the group see you next school year! Enjoy the summer. Mr. D.
Week of May 18th Assignments
TASKS: 604 - 601 - 613
All students who participated in the OSHA 10 Hour class will be receiving their OSHA cards at home . Each will be mailed out from the school. Any questions let me know. Mr. D.
Electrical Safety Basics
HVAC school introduces the anatomy of electrocution, arc flash and an intro to PPE and lockout/tagout. Featuring Bryan Orr. Read all the tech tips, take the ...
ALL STUDENTS VIEW THE VIDEO AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. Please submit the answers before next friday. May 22.
- What is considered a safe voltage to work on?
a. 120 b. 24 c. 240
- What organization governs electrical installations?
a. OSHA b. Local authority c. NFPA-70 N.E.C.
- Does your body have ________ body resistance when standing in water?
a. less b. more
- What is the procedure called when you have to isolate a circuit off to work on it?
a. shutdown b. lock out tagout
- What kills you when energized by electricity?
a. volts b. resistance c. amperage
- What should you do when working on electrical above 6 foot?
a. use a aluminum ladder b. use a scaffolding c. always tie off with a safety harness
- Does amperage effect your electrical shock? yes no
- Arc flash can happen when ________?
a. energized b. de-energized c. working around large electrical panels
- Always try to use __________ hand when working on a energized electrical panel?
a. one b. two c. three
- If moisture is involved what electrical device will interrupt power and prevent a shock?
a. rubber disconnect b. G.F.C.I. c. 3 prong outlet
Week of May 11th Assignments
Seniors reminder to plan to clean out lockers on May 13, also any senior there is still Admiral Peary scholarship money available. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks
Assignment watch both videos and answer. Tasks # 606 -613-615 -609
Wiring a Air handler
A simple install wiring video of a 1ph 250v 15 amp air handler. The electrical wiring to this unit is simple if you know how.Romex is used in this system bec...
1. What 2 low voltage wires are connected to the thermostat lettered code from the unit? a and b b. y and c c. r and w
2.Where do you find the correct circuit breaker amperage size to use? a. call the homeowner b. the nameplate c. ask the neighbor
3.Where are the two hot legs wires connected too in the unit? a. contactor b. thermostat c. to ground
4. how many volts is the air conditioner? a. 120 b. 440 c. 240
5. Where is the equipment wire ground connected? a. to the contactor b. to the ground bar in the earth c, to the frame of the unit
- How do you figure out how to connect your wires in the air handler? a. ask the carpenter b. call the telephone company c. look at the wire schematic
- What is the maximum amperage breaker for the air handler? a. 35 b. 50 c. 15
- How many volts is the maximum for the air handler? a. 120 b. 250 c. 300
Week of May 4th Assignments
All students view videos and answer the questions that follow each :
https://youtu.be/NO7jYG49dBk tasks 1101 - 703 -
- Where is this AC coil unit found? a. on the outside condenser b. on top of the furnace c. in the closet
- How is the refrigerant leak pinpointed? a. sethiscope b. heard hissing c. soap solution
- What is the name of the copper piping that meets the coil and branches out? a. distributor b. take off branch c. capillary tube
- What was the indication that there was a refrigerant leak? a. loss of pressure b. rapid beeps from leak detector c. smell of refrigerant
- What type of leak detection is being used? a. ultrasonic b. electronic c. taser
https://youtu.be/La9IyRWrRVk task -811 -604-606
1.After connecting thermostat, what is the next step? a. turn power off b. turn power on c. run
2.What are the 4 lettered wire codes used? a. a-b-c-d b. r-w-s-y c. r-w-y-g
3.What is the first thing you should do before installing the new thermostat? a. disconnect the wires b. take a picture of the wires c. shut the power off
4.What should be performed with the new thermostat before connecting the wires? a. call home depot b. turn power on c. level the housing
Remember to check the announcements updates on the school website. Thanks Mr.D.
Week of April 27th Assignments
All students watch the video link and answer the multiple choice questions. Task # 1301 - #1303 - 1403
1.What does a metering device do?
a. stops refrigerant flow b. controls the flow to the condenser c. restricts the flow to reduce pressure to the evaporator
2.What type of access valves are found on AC units?
a. 0ne way valve b. two way valve c. three way valve
3. What type of capacitor is normally found on a outdoor AC unit?
a. run b. start c. high amperage
4. What is the unit outside called?
a. evaporator unit b. condensing unit c. pumping unit
5. What control powers the contactor coil?
a. pressure control b. thermostat c. off/on switch
6. Why is a heat pump raised up off the ground?
a. rodents b. snow levels c. water damage
7. Name at least 2 things a nameplate tells you?
a. amps and capacitors b. type of refrigerant and voltage c. Dates of installation and type of unit design
8. What 2 types of compressors normally used?
a. run and recprocating b. screw and scroll c. scroll and recprocating
9. What is the copper tubing referred to as when connecting the outdoor unit to the indoor coil?
a. freon lines b. line sets c. suction and discharge lines
10. Name at least 2 things that should be known when replacing a condenser fan motor?
a. voltage and direction of run b. amperage and date code c. horsepower and voltage
11. Inside the house what part of the unit is found on top of the furnace?
a. condenser b. evaporator c. compressor
12. If you distinguish a heat pump from a air-conditioning unit, name at least 2 things that you will find with a heat pump?
a.bi-flow valve and heater b. reversing valve and accumlator c. 2 compresssors and a bi directional compressor
13. What is the name of the device that shuts off the outdoor unit power?
a. lever switch b. pullout off/on switch c. disconnect switch
14. What part of the furnace tells the AC unit and blower fan to run?
a. thermostat calling for heat b. furnace control board c. dehumidifier control
15. Can a capacitor store electrons after the electrical power is off?
a. yes b. no c. depends on the capacitor size
Week of April 20th Assignments
Students 10 -11 and 12th grades watch the video and answer the following questions. Thank you
- What part of the oil burner makes the spark for the oil to ignite? a. electrode b. thermocouple c. transformer
- How can you control different room temperatures?
? a. Install another boiler b. more piping c. zone controlling
- What part of the boiler absorbs the burner flame heat? a. primary control b.supply pipe c. heat exchanger
- how many gallons of oil is stored in a oil tank? a. 325 b. 275 c. 225
- What is the function of a aquastat? a. controls the air from going to the piping b. controls boiler temperature c. controls the piping temperature
- The oil line from the storage tank to the burner requires a _________? a.shutoff b. cleanout c. fire plug
- Why does the draft damperdoor swing? a. prevents carbon monoxide b. sucks fresh air from the flue c. mixes room airwith the exhausting flue gases
- A expansion tank has _________? a. air and water b. all water c. all air
- The oil goes from the tank to the ___________? a. heat exchanger b. motor c. fuel pump
- Name 2 things the oil burner motor does? a. works the cad cell and ignitor b. drives the blower for air to be induced in the blast tube and drives the fuel pump c. ignites and drives the blower fan
- what is used to help eliminate air in the piping? a. air purger accessories b. install a drain valve c. add more water to push the air out
- what is the name of the device that prevents boiler water from entering the drinking water in your house? a. check valve b. potable water valve c. backflow preventer
Week of April 13 Assignments
Seniors only assignment (answer each question with the multiple choice answers) ,after watching the video
Measuring Static Pressure on an Air Handler for Airflow CFM!
- Static pressure is measuring? a. air flow b. water pressure c. gas pressure
- how many cubit feet per minute of air flow is needed for each 1 ton of cooling? a. 100 cfm b. 250cfm c. 400cfm
- how do you determine total static pressure? a. subtract supply and return readings b. add supply and return airflow readings c. add gas pressure and air flow pressure together
- Where do you check supply air flow static pressure? a. diffuser b. register c. right after air flow of the supply coil
- Where should you drill holes in the air duct system to check static pressure? a. in the heat exchanger b. in the supply by the coil air flow discharge and the blower fan before the air filter c. in the supply before the air filter and return before the heat exchanger
Juniors and Sophmores (answer these multiple choice questions after watching video)
SystemVision Training - Ductwork
1.Ductwork is sealed because? a. you can breathe better b. it is easier to vent flue gases in to it c. reduces air quality and pressure imbalances of air filtration
2. Ductwork not properly sealed means? a. cheaper to run heating and cooling b. usually around 15-20 percent more to operate c. the air duct system can operate more efficiently
3. name a place where air leakage can occur? a. on a fan blower b. on a electrical conduit c. on a takeoff collar connected to a main trunk
4. Air ducts can be sealed with? a. body putty b. mastic c. with duct tape
5. How do you connect a boot to a flex duct? a. seal with mqastic b. seal with duct tape c. use a collar tie and mastic
6. How do you minimize air duct leakage? a. put more bends and joints in the air flow b. put a bigger fan blower in the air supply c. lesson the turns and bends of air ducts
7. What helps a technician design a duct system? a. undersize or oversize a air ducttrunk for more or less air flow problem b. use air flow manuals and charts to help a properly sized system
8. Is it okay to have a return air duct in a garage? a. yes because it will help air flow problems b. it can not be used due to fumes from chemicals and autos c. it will help bring in outside air to make the air duct more efficient
Week of April 6 Assignments
Hello all, I want to thank the students that returned last week assignments. Please keep in mind the assignments are graded weekly as pass or fail. Passing is submitting the work and answering the questions correctly. Failing is not submitting the work weekly! Please pass this along to your buddies who did not submit the work! Any questions e-mail me. Mr. D.
Senior only assignments: (use the internet to research the questions)
1. How do you determine when to charge liquid or vapor refrigerant in a air conditioner system?
2 . What procedures are used to check a refrigerant charge using the superheat method in a air conditioning system?
3. What procedures are used to check a refrigerant charge using the subcooling method in a air conditioning system?
4. Name at least 3 problems that are that are diagnosis with a low refrigerant charge? (Air-conditioner or a refrigeration system)?
5. What are some symptoms found on a evaporator that has no proper airflow across the coil? (name 3)
Juniors and sophmores view the you tube video and answer the questions:
- How do you check resistance (ohms)?
- How do you check a closed switch?
- Explain how to check amperage of a furnace fan blower?
- Explain how to check ac voltage on a 24 volt furnace check?
- Are you able to check temperature in a air duct with a multimeter?
- What 3 things can be checked using a multimeter?
Week of March 30 Assignments
seniors only assignment:
all answers are to be researched by the internet. type the answers out return to my e-mail
1. How do you perform refrigerant system evacuation and refrigerant ?
2. How do you charge refrigerant into a air conditioning system? Explain the procedure
3. How do you locate refrigerant leaks using electronic leak detectors, and ultra violent leak methods?
4. how do you perform refrigerant recovery from a air conditioning system or a refrigeration system?
This assignment is for sophmores and juniors:
watch the you tube video Refrigeration Cycle 101.
Website address https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJX0LyxRV0E
Explain the 4 main component parts of a refrigeration system as described in the video?