Email Instructor: Mr. Vescovi
Email Learning Support: Mr. Harr
Email Learning Support: Ms. Hudak
Guidance Support: Mrs. Wurm
Learning Support Assistance
Career Foundation Scholarship Opportunity
Assignments will be posted on Mondays by noon for the week. All Assignments are due before Fridays at noon. Please email your instructor with the link above to turn in weekly assignment. If you have questions or problems with the work please email the instructor or the learning support personnel that would normally assist you with your work with the links above.
PLEASE REVIEW THIS END OF YEAR INFORMATION including schedule on when you can pick up your things from your locker and last day of school: http://www.ap.tec.pa.us/News/eoyinfo
Week of May 25th Assignments
Please complete all previous assignments and return to me with your name and the assignment # so you can get credit for them. Thank You!
Week of May 18th Assignments
Watch the above video and answer the following questions.
1.The length of the wall ties used in a cavity wall are dependent on what dimension?
a. Height of wall b. width of the air space. c. Length of the wall
2. How far must the wall ties reach into the brick?
a. all the way b. half the way c. one inch
3. Galvanized corrugated wall ties are good for what size air space?
a. 2 inches b. 1 inch c. 4 inches
4. Galvanized corrugated wall ties are nailed on with what size nail?
a. 6 penny b. 8 penny c. 10 penny
5. What is the maximum size air space in a cavity wall?
a. 4 inches b. 4.5 inches c. 5 inches
6. Name the 2 types of wire joint reinforcement.
a. truss and ladder b. ladder and house c. house and truss
7. Brick ___________ and block __________ over time.
a. fade / shrink b. expand / shrink c. shrink / expand
8. Which type of wire joint reinforcement is used for brick veneer with a block back up wall?
a. truss or ladder b. truss c. ladder
Week of May 11th Assignments
Watch the following video and answer the questions below.
1.What is the purpose of an expansion joint?
a. Control the expansion of brick due to moisture
b. make the wall look better
c. save on material
2. Why do bricks grow in length?
a. expanding clay
b. Moisture absorption
c. cold weather
3. How often should expansion joints be placed in a brick wall?
a. 50 feet
b. 10 feet
c. Within 10 feet of a corner and then every 30 feet minimum
4. What is the name of the material put in the expansion joint before caulking/
c. backer rod
Week of May 4th Assignments
Watch the video and estimate the amount of concrete for the following jobs using the same procedure as the video.
1. A concrete pad 4inches thick pad 20 feet by 30 feet.
a. 7.42 cu.yds. b. 8 cu. yds. c. 9.4 cu. yds.
2. A concrete pad 4 inches thick pad 30 feet by 60 feet.
a. 22.27 cu.yds. b. 32.27 cu. yds. c. 42.27 cu. yds.
3. A concrete pad 4 inches thick 8 feet by 120 feet
a.11.88 cu.yds. b. 12.88 cu. yds. c. 13.88 cu.yds.
4. A 4 inch concrete pad 10 feet by 80 feet
a.9.9 cu. yds. b. 10.9 cu.yds. c. 11.9 cu. yds.
5. A 6 inch concrete pad 10 feet bt80 feet
a. 14.8 cu. yds. b. 20.8 cu.yds. c.30.8 cu.yds.
Week of April 27th Assignments
P.O.S. Tools and Identification 101
Watch the video and answer the following questions.
1. What material is not to be cut with this saw?
A. Glass B. Block C. Stone D. Tile
2. This saw designed to cut what material?
A. Glass B. Block C. Stone D. Tile
3. How is this blade cooled?
A. Water B. Fan C. Air
4. What is the purpose of a dressing stone?
A. Remove glaze and improve cutting
B. Sharpen the blade
C. Extend the life of the blade
5. How often do you change the filter?
A. Every year B. Once a month C. Once a day
Coverings 2019: Demo Stage: Innovative Tool Solutions - iQ Power Tools
Innovative Tool Solutions from iQ Power Tools Presented by: iQ Power Tools. Recorded at the Coverings 2019 Installation Demo Stage. -- Coverings is the Global Tile & Stone Experience For thirty years, Coverings has been the preeminent event for the ceramic tile & natural stone industry in North America. Visitors from every facet of the tile ...
Week of April 20th Assignments
Watch the video of this new masonry saw and answer the following questions.
1. What is the blade size of the saw demonstrated?
a.12 inch b. 14 inch c. 16.5 inch d. 20.5 inch
2. What is the depth of cut of this saw?
a.4 inch b.5.5 inch c.6.5 inch d.7 inch
3.What does the saw use to control dust?
a.water b.electricity c.integrated dust control system d. fan
4.What is the length of cut for this saw?
a.12 inch b.24 inch c.32 inch d.40inch
5.What powers the saw?
a. 120 volt electric b. 240 volt electric c.220 volt electric
6. How much dust does it collect?
a. 80 percent b. 85 percent c. 90 percent d. 99.5 percent
Week of April 13th Assignments
Please watch the following video and answer these questions.
1. What is the name of the brick and brick company that is featured in the video?
a. Glen Gery b. Belden c. Marshalltown d. Pittsburgh
2. What are the 2 processes used in the manufacture of brick?
a. Clay and Shale b. Run and Jump c. Molded and Extruded d. Long and Short
3. How many different types and variety of bricks does this company make?
a. 50 b. 100 c. 200 d. 500
4. If the freshly molded brick dry too fast what will happen to the brick?
a. Shrink b. Expand c. Dry d. Crack
5. What two types of kilns were used to cure the brick?
a. Large and Small b. Tunnel and Beehive c. Beehive and Honey d. Tunnel and Bucket
Week of April 6 Assignments
Glad that many of you were able to complete the first assignment. Hope everyone is well and staying healthy during these trying times. Here is your assignment for the week of April 6,2020.
Watch the video on scaffold safety and answer the following question.
- How many construction workers die each year from accidents involving scaffold?
- How often should scaffolding be inspected?
- Should scaffold be level or plumb?
- How much should scaffold plank be lapped?
- What is the designation for OSHA approved scaffold plank? ( Hint: Dense Industrial ___ ?)
- Top rail, mid rail, and toe boards are part of the ________________ rail?
- How far can a worker fall in 1 second?
Scaffolding Safety Video Pt.1
Scaffolding Safety Video Pt.2
Week of March 30 Assignments
Go to the following link on YouTube and watch the video and answer the following question.
https://youtu.be/Eu0s4-ZLw9I Controlling Crystalline Silica in Construction: Stationary Masonry Saws
1. Who created the video?
2. What is the best way to control Silica dust?
3. Name another method used to control silica dust.
4. Where else (website) can you find information on controlling Silica dust?